Answered By: Writing Center
Last Updated: Nov 10, 2015     Views: 1

The long dash (—) that can be created to show sentence shifts or breaks is called an em-dash. In Microsoft Word, this dash is created by typing two hyphens (--) between two words.
Example: If these facts were true—modern science proves they are—they would create a radical shift in our outlook on the universe.
Sometimes the typing sequence to create an em-dash is tricky to get right as you are writing. To make sure that the double hyphen turns into an em-dash, make sure that you type the whole sequence of words and hyphens at the same time. The keyboard sequence would be similar to this: (spacebar) word (hyphen hyphen) word (spacebar). Without hitting the space bar on either side of the words, the em-dash will remain a double hyphen.

Related Topics

    Contact Us

    The Learning Commons

    140 William T. Jerome Library
    Bowling Green State University
    Bowling Green, OH 43403
    Phone: 419-372-2823
    Fax: 419-372-2458