Q. Will you make copies of recordings for me?
Because of copyright law and staffing concerns, the library offers a very limited copying service. All copies of recordings must fall under "Fair Use" guidelines and meet the following conditions:
- Recordings must be for educational purposes AND for presentation use only
- Recordings are limited to 1 or 2 tracks
- The library cannot make copies of recordings for personal study or discs on reserve for classes.
- Any requests of an extraordinary nature must be cleared by the Sound Recordings Archivist or the Head of the Music Library. See our staff directory page for their contact information.
For further information on our recording policy, talk to a Music Library staff member.
Extra Information Bonus!
The four factors that determine Fair Use are: (copied from the US copyright website)
- The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
- The nature of the copyrighted work
- The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
- The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work